Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tikka Masala Curry with rice

I thought I would go all fancy and take pictures of some of the steps while cooking today. I like to pretend that I'm special and people actually care what we're having for dinner.
This was an experiment dinner that turned out super yummy. I usually make my curry from scratch which takes a long time so we only have it like once a year. I will be doing this more often!


I started with this sauce. There's no particular reason why I picked this one, it was probably on sale.

I cut up about 4 chicken breasts and covered them with about half of the sauce. I let is sit in the fridge for about 4 hours. I wanted the chicken to really soak up the flavors.


While my rice was cooking I sliced up half an onion, two potatoes, and a zucchini. You could use any vegetables you had on hand. I usually add carrots but I was lazy today and I didn't want to cut anything else.



I cooked them until they were just about done and then removed them from the pan.



I added a little but more oil to the pan and cooked the chicken till it was cooked through. then I added the vegetable mix back to the pan along with a little bit more of the curry sauce. Since I was just playing around with it I added a little at a time till it looked right.



Then I added about half a can of this heavenly liquid. Does anyone else love this stuff as much as I do?


I think I used about 2/3 of the curry sauce. I would just taste it and adjust till it was right. Sorry for the lack of a recipe here. This is what it looked like once I got the perfect ratio. Doesn't it look good enough to eat? Since everything is cooked you can eat right away or let it simmer for a little while. I was waiting for the family to return from football practice so I think mine was cooking away for about 20 minutes.



About 5 minutes before we were ready to eat I added about a cup of frozen peas. I've got to sneak as many vegetables in the kids meals as I can right?

What do you think? Would you try it?





No comments:

Post a Comment